Sunday, June 14, 2009

N.C. Artist get in trouble for Barrel Man


From: http://nopromiseofsafety.com
I couldn’t get it out of my head. Its that itch, that need to make real an idea that has rolled around in one’s head for days, snowballed itself into a temporary obsession that just has to be satisfied.I arrived in a flash and snatched them up from where they stood on the street. As I threw them into the trunk of the vehicle I had to rough them up some so they would fit. I shoved and beat and mangled them into place and was off before any witnesses knew what had even happened.

Later on that night, they stood huddled in the corner of the room, silent. They looked on while I slowly set out the duct tape and plugged in the power drill. Then I pulled out the switchblade and released the cold metal blade. They would never be the same.



It didn't last long, but commuters in Raleigh, North Carolina were treated to a whimsical display of street art recently, as a 22-year-old NC State student (allegedly) assembled a barrel monster out of bright orange traffic barrels and put it to work directing traffic on a busy public street. Police say Joseph Carnevale is being charged with larceny for stealing and damaging the traffic barrels on May 31 for the purpose of building a statue, and I guess they're right, but it always seems unfair when it's vandalism you actually like.

The lesson learned here is: Don't be so vain to take credit for your work, unless you are willing to pay the price of your pride.  More should follow after Joseph's court appearance on the 21st of July.

1 comment:

  1. Now that I mull this over, I think the barrel monster would be much more effective to drivers than the usual barrels. Maybe they could offer him a job?

    ReplyDelete