Sunday, January 29, 2012

Do it yourself, tarahumara hurache running sandals





I've been working on making my own hurache/tarahumara running sandals for sometime now.

Seeing some other examples, I've been working on these off and on for close to 2 years. I've tried a variety of materials, and tying methods.

I think I've come up with what works best for me.

So with my penchant for bikes, I found what works best is a relatively smooth BMX street tire due to it's width and lack of knobs. Some traction is good otherwise they can get "slippery when wet."

I first used 1/4" leather cord. These held together, but cut into the skin, which was rather uncomfortable. I switched over to a old pair of shoelaces I had, and these were a marked improvement. When these wore out, I found some 1/2 inch thick shoelaces. Best fit and usability thus far.

Now tying them was the biggest ongoing process. I have figured out how to tie them so that I can simply slip them on and off with having to retie them each time, and they still fit snugly enough for running.

A work in progress, but now a working solution.

Plus they make great Christmas gifts!


Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Nice job! Can you supply a link to the kind of tire you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the smoothie BMX tires!!!!! Way cheaper than VIbram!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But are they comfortable? And who’s worn these

    ReplyDelete